Updated: Mar 31, 2020
Louisiana Cajun BBQ Sauce
1 tbl olive oil 2 garlic cloves medium shallot, chopped 1 tsp smoked paprika 1/4 tsp cayenne (more if you want more heat) 1 tsp chipotle paste 1/4 tsp black pepper 1/4 cup tomato paste 3 tbl maple syrup 2 tbl apple cider vinegar 2 tbl soy sauce 1/2 cup beer (standard lager)
Garlic Creole Aioli
1/2 cup vegan mayo 1 tbl dijon mustard 1 spring onion, diced small 1 garlic clove, diced small 1 tbl lemon juice salt + pepper 1/2 tsp chipotle paste some water, to thin
Cabbage, Corn, Radish Slaw
1 cup cabbage, diced roughly 1 corn cob, kernels off cob 1/2 cup radishes, julienned 1 lime, juiced handful of coriander salt + pepper 1 tbl avocado oil
Vegan “Pulled” Pork
2 cups water 1 cup green lentils 2 spring onions, diced 1/2 cup grated carrots 1 medium courgette, spiralized 2 tbl olive oil 1/2 white onion, diced 1/2 tsp paprika 1 tsp garlic powder 1/2 tsp coriander
corn tortillas lime wedges extra coriander, to garnish/topping
Before You Cook:
Wash and chop/prepare all vegetables
Spiralize courgette (if you don’t have a spiralizer, cut into long thin strips)
Grate 1-2 medium carrots on a hand grater to create something like carrot pulp
Cook green lentils – boil water, add lentils, reduce to simmer, and cook for 10-15 minutes until water is mostly absorbed and lentils are softened
1. Once my prep work above is done, I start with my BBQ sauce. Place pan over medium heat with oil. Let it warm for 60 seconds and add onions + garlic. Let it cook for about 5 minutes until softening. Add all spices from paprika through to the pepper. Let it cook for another minute or two.
2. Next, add the liquid ingredients. The mixture should foam a bit and come to a low boil/bubbling. Reduce the heat to very low and let it simmer while you prepare the rest of the ingredients – typically about 15-20 minutes.
3. Next we will cook the “pork.” Now, it is important to get the following ingredients done in this way to provide the right texture. Spiralize your courgette, grate your carrots, and dice your onions small. Add oil to large pan, and heat for couple minutes over medium. Add onion and cook for 4-5 minutes.
4. Add all other veggies with spices. Cook for a couple minutes. Add the lentils. Cook for another 60 seconds. Add the BBQ sauce if its ready. Otherwise, set this to lowest setting and add BBQ sauce. Once BBQ sauce is in, mix around and turn off.
5. Next, let’s make a quick slaw. Mix together all the slaw ingredients in a small serving bowl. Salt + pepper to taste.
6. For the creole sauce, mix together all the ingredients.
7. To serve, I like to put everything out on a spread, so that my guests/family can choose what they want and portion it. Warm up some corn tortillas in the microwave or in the oven to serve. I like to have some lime wedges and extra coriander also ready to go. Fold up and enjoy!