- 250g Plain Flour
- 140g Self Raising Flour
- A Pinch of Salt
- 250g Unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 125g Golden Caster Sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 450g coloured fondant icing
- icing sugar for dusting
- black writing icing
- Sieve the two flours and salt into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Put the soft butter and sugar in another bowl and beat them together with a wooden spoon until the mixture is soft, creamy and pale.
- Add the egg yolk and vanilla extract to the creamed butter mixture and mix all the ingredients together well.
- Add the flour and stir everything together until all the flour is mixed in and the mixture forms a ball of dough.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill it in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C, Gas 6.
- Roll out the cookie dough until it is about 5mm thick.
- Use your cutters, cutting them as close together as possible.
- Lay all the cookies on the baking sheets and put them into the preheated oven for 12-16 minutes, until the cookies are golden.
- Cook on a wire rack.
- To decorate. First make a little ‘edible glue’ by putting two tablespoons of icing sugar in a cup and adding two tablespoons of warm water. Stir them together.
- Sprinkle a little icing sugar on to the counter and roll out the fondant icing to cover the biscuit.
- Brush a little of your ‘sugar glue’ onto the first cookie. Use to the cookie cutter to cut out an icing shape to match and carefully stick it on.
- Use writing icing for any detail.