275g cooked beetroot
250g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
200g golden caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
75g plain flour
50g cocoa powder
pinch of salt
- Grease the base of cake tin or brownie pan.
- Place the beetroot in a food processor and whiz for a few minutes to form a smooth puree. Set aside
- Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, taking care that the bowl does the actually touch the water. Leave until just melted, stirring occasionally, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract until pale and fluffy. Beat in the pureed beetroot and melted chocolate.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa powder and salt and then fold them in until fully combined.
- Tip the batter into the prepared baking tin, smoothing the top with a palette knife or spatula.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 180C, Gas Mark 4 for 25 mins or until the centre is almost set but still wobbles when you gently shake the tin.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool completely before removing it from the tin.
- Peel off the baking powder if you have used and cut into squares.